Murray Meltzer, M.D.
The Mount Sinai Medical Center
About Dr. Meltzer.
- Professor of Ophthalmology and the Director of Ophthalmic Plastic and Orbital Surgery, Murray A. Meltzer is internationally known for pioneering significant surgical and microsurgery procedures in reconstruction of the eye. These include the use of CO2 laser for tumor excision and immunotherapy for tumor treatment, tear duct transplantation, and advancements in the use of adjustable sutures for ptosis surgery. Dr. Meltzer specializes in cosmetic eye surgery, surgery for tearing, thyroid eye problems, tumors, trauma, and eyelid reconstruction.
- After completing his residency in Ophthalmology at Kings County Hospital, Brooklyn, N.Y., Dr. Meltzer was awarded a fellowship in ophthalmic plastic surgery at Queen Victoria Hospital in East Grinstead, England. Research was conducted at the Royal College of Surgeons, London, England. Additionally, Dr. Meltzer completed a cornea microsurgery fellowship at Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital. He was Co-Chief of the Oculoplastics Clinic at Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital from 1980-1993, served as Director of Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery at SUNY Downstate Medical College, and is an Attending Surgeon at Elmhurst General Hospital. Dr. Meltzer's military service included responsibilities as Lieutenant Commander USN, Chief of Ophthalmology, U.S. Naval Hospital, Corpus Christi, Texas, from 1966-1968. He is a graduate of Cornell University, Ithaca,
- Dr. Meltzer has authored, co-authored, or edited more than 25 publications and three textbooks in his fields of expertise. A respected surgeon and teacher, he has been honored five times with the Abraham L. Kornzweig Award for Excellence in Resident Teaching at The Mount Sinai Medical Center. Dr. Meltzer is also the recipient of the Richard C. Troutman Master Teacher Award from SUNY Downstate Medical College, the J. Eugene Chalfin Memorial Lecture Award, and the Glorney Raisbeck Fellowship Award from the New York Academy of Medicine.
Murray A. Meltzer, M.D.
Professor of Ophthalmology
Director, Ophthalmic Plastics and Orbital Surgery
Department of Ophthalmology
Mount Sinai Medical Center
17E 102nd Street (Between Madison & 5th)
New York NY 10029
Tel: (212) 241-6175
Fax: (212) 289-0055
To set up an appointment to see Dr. Meltzer, please call (212) 241-6175.
- Dr. Meltzer schedules patients Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Your eyes may be dilated, so bringing sunglasses is suggested. We ask that you bring all medications you might be using at this time.
- The office is located at 5 East 98th Street, between 5th and Madison Avenues, on the 7th floor.
- We look forward to being of service to you.
Treatment of tear drainage system abnormalities, including infection, obstruction, and excessive tearing.
- Most HMO
- Blue Cross / Blue Shield
Map / Contact Information
Download Patient Registration Form